- Volunteer Opportunities / Responsibilities: 1) Soccer Referees are needed for elementary and middle school games from 3:45 – 6PM each Thursday and Friday during the fall (September-November) season. Locations vary. No prior experience needed!
2) Assistant Soccer Coaches and Assistant Creative Writing Coaches are needed during the after-school program hours of 3:00 – 6:00PM, Monday-Friday.
3) Summer Camp Counselors help in a variety of ways at one of DC SCORES’ three summer camps! (Late June-early August)
4) Corporate/Group Volunteers are encouraged to help us at one of our special events (see below for descriptions)
5) High School Student Volunteers seeking community service hours are encouraged to volunteer as a Soccer Referee, Summer Camp Counselor, or at a Special Event.
6) Other – Are you a skilled Photographer/Videographer? Graphic Design expert? Local artist? Own a restaurant? Donate your skills to DC SCORES or lend us your space for a fundraising event.
7) SPECIAL EVENTS
Special Events/Group Volunteers (weekend/late weeknight)
DC SCORES hosts several special events throughout the year. The Fall Frenzy, Poetry Slam! and Jamboree! are program related and involve our poet-athletes, while the SCORES Cup is a fundraising event that involves no interaction with the students. Although not all events are listed, the primary DC SCORES events include:
A) Fall Frenzy
The Fall Frenzy is a day-long celebration of our fall season that includes a round-robin soccer tournament and other various outdoor activities for our elementary school students and their families to enjoy. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, referees, arts & crafts leaders, facepainters, lunch servers, and field monitors.
B) Poetry Slam!
This two-night, city-wide, spoken-word competition features performances of DC SCORES students and their original works of poetry. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, ushers, scoring assistants, and stagehands.
The Jamboree! is our year-end culminating celebration of the DC SCORES programming year. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, referees, arts & crafts leaders, facepainters, lunch servers, and field monitors.
D) SCORES Cup
The SCORES Cup is our annual adult co-ed soccer tournament made up of local companies, law firms, small businesses and soccer organizations. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, field marshals, lunch servers, and photography.
- Types of Volunteers Needed: individual/adult; individual/college; individual/high school; families with children; adult groups of less than 5; adult groups of 6 or more, including corporate teams
- Hours Needed: business hours during the week; daytime on the weekend