Half of the new jobs created in our region require skills in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and math. Yet, many children, especially from disadvantaged populations, lose interest in STEM careers due to lack of representation and access to STEM enrichment experiences. Children's Science Center provides children and families with the necessary resources for creating awareness and equitable access to STEM education. They deliver their programs directly in the community, at its Lab (a 5,400-square- foot, hands-on facility), and through interactive virtual learning programs, such as Makerspace Wednesdays, focused on the engineering design process, and Animal Encounters, which engages the whole family in learning about the amazing animals at the Center. Children's Science Center is rising to the challenge to ensure STEM resources are available and accessible to everyone. Your support will help them continue to meet that challenge.
Headquarters: VA-Fairfax County
Where They Operate: DC-Citywide; MD-Statewide; VA-Statewide; VA-Arlington County; VA-Fairfax County; VA-Loudoun County; VA-Prince William County; VA-City of Alexandria; VA-City of Fairfax; VA-City of Falls Church
Age Groups Served: Pre-K (3-4); Youth (5-11); Pre-teen/teen (12-17)
Population(s) Served: Not applicable
- Number of visitors served annually in the Lab and at community programs delivered across the region:
- Number of schools served by our traveling hands-on STEM program:
- Number of Title I schools served with a hands-on STEM program at no cost:
- Number of volunteers who work with us annually:
Awards & Recognition
- Opened Northern Virginia’s first children’s museum and science center in 2015.
- Raised $3.5M in past six years to support operations, first museum site build-out, and planning for future science center.
- Serve 50 schools across 5+ jurisdictions with outreach programs annually. 40% of those schools are Title I schools served at no charge with supported by awarded grants. Popularity of program has required blind drawing of applicant schools for past 5 years.
- 2017 NonProfit of the Year by the Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2016 Non-Profit of the year Finalist by the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 STEM Award by Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 NAIOP Award of Merit, Interior Retail Project Children’s Science Center Lab
- 2016 Fairfax County Volunteer Service Award
- $3 million or higher
- The current budget for Northern Virginia Science Center Foundation DBA Children's Science Center is: $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About Spur Local
Each year 150+ community advocates review applicants on the basis of governance, equity, and impact. Each featured nonprofit has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. Spur Local charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $57 million for nonprofits across the Greater Washington region.
Spur Local looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to Spur Local to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!